Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Candle Drama! {What I'm learning about Soy Wax}

I am a candle lover...a fanatic really, so when I decided a few months ago to start making my own I just pictured it going smoothly, no bumps in the road, and myself in scent heaven....umm, not so much.

I decided on using Soy wax for my candles, and boy is soy tricky!  I like soy for its sustainability, the fact that it's biodegradable, I love that it is cleaner burning (not as much if any black soot when burning) than the traditional paraffin, but it is hard to work with.  I like a good challenge and I am bound and determined to make the "perfect" soy candle if it kills me.  Soy has so many unique characteristics, and I'm trying to distance myself from what I "think" soy should be like and just embrace it as it is! 

So far I'm still in the testing phase, which is why I only have my Soy Wax Melts listed in my shop...no wick, no jar, a much simpler way to enjoy fragrance.  I will not sell any candles until I am happy with the results, and so far I am still making adjustments, but I think I am close!  Luckily I have a sister who is crazy about candles like I am and she is my tester.  I have about 20 or so candles that need to be tested at the moment, and surely the right combination of wick size, fragrance load and wax type are among them!

Anyways, in the meantime I am loving using my brain again to try and figure this whole soy candle making out.  It's a nice break from changing diapers, wiping sticky fingers, drying tears and saying "no" every five seconds.  Motherhood is great, but I am a firm believer in having a hobby to keep you sane!  Everything I read about soy candle making says something different, so it's really a try-it-for-yourself-and-see kind of endeavor.  So I'm trying...and trying and trying...and sooner or later it's going to pay off!

I'm off to test my latest theory...maybe this will be the one that ends all the drama!

Blessings,
Grace

 
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each Note is a Little Bit of Sunshine! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

A Few of My Favorite Things!